In a recent VLOG, 3 Things I'm Doing Differently This Fall, I told ya'll that I'm trying to get my groove back in the kitchen!
Truth be told, I'm not the best cook. More times than not, I mess up a recipe. But nonetheless I am trying to up my game, and get excited about food again. (This summer our eating out budget was WAY too high)
I thought I'd start out keeping it simple and start with chili. (Heck, who am I kidding, the recipes are always going to be simple. It's how I roll).
Because you're my people, I'll let you in on my secret to finding great recipes online... I google what I want to make and then put "the best" in front of the type of food. For example, in this case instead of googling "chili recipe" I googled "the best chili recipe"...
Google sure didn't disappoint, this recipe via Pip & Ebby is the BEST chili we've ever tried. Even the kids love it!
I did make some alterations to the recipe (see below), but if you'd like to check out the original, you can find it HERE!
You can't go wrong with either! It's the perfect chili recipe for the colder weather... and a great dish to have in your fridge for lunch and dinner throughout the week!
Total Time - 8 hours in crock pot | 2.5 hours on stove
(that being said, I made our latest batch in an hour and it was still delicious)
WHAT YOU NEED....
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 46-oz. can tomato juice
- 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 16-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 16-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded cheese and plain greek yogurt (for the topping)
WHAT YOU DO...
1. In a large pot, cook the ground beef on medium-high heat until it's no longer pink. Once cooked, drain and put the meat in a bowl.
2. Add olive oil, onion, green pepper, garlic, parsley to the same pot and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper. Mix it all up
IF USING STOVE...
4. Add beef to the pot. Add tomato juice, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney & pinto beans
5. Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 2 hours.
IF USING CROCKPOT
4. Put beef and veggie mix into the crock pot. Add tomato juice, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney & pinto beans.
5. Cook on low for 7-8 hours
Top with plain greek yogurt and shredded cheese. Serve with tortilla chips!
** MOM HACK - I always substitute greek yogurt for sour cream. It ups the protein and most of the time, the kids don't even notice! **