So we are back from our vacation up at the cottage, and are doing our VERY best to get back into the swing of things (while still trying to soak up the last that our Canadian Summer has to offer)
While we were up on vacay, I received some emails from followers referring to my "perfect" family, and asking for tips on how to achieve the "perfect stepfamily life"
As much as I LOVE hearing from the fabulous women who read my blog, when I read these emails all I could say was "NO! NO! NO!"
The truth is, if you're looking for advice on how to achieve a perfectly harmonious stepfamily life, you'll need to ask someone else, because you won't find it here!
(Actually, good lucky finding it anywhere!)
What I can help you with is creating your own version of "perfection"
The first step? Change your definition of perfect, and do it now!
Or better yet, get the word perfect right out of your vocabulary, because it's BULLSHIT!
Whether you have a nuclear family or a stepfamily, I've got new for you! Perfection is unattainable (despite what things look like on Social Media)
To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here are some pictures of our "perfect" family vacation....
... and here is a list of 10 "not so perfect" things that happened behind-the-scenes!
1. Our two year old fell and split her forehead open on a rock (blood everywhere!)
2. I accidentally bought decaff coffee and unknowingly was without caffeine for the first few days of our vacation. I wouldn’t recommend it. In fact, I think it was the closest I've been to being "wicked" in a long time!
3. My laptop with ALL of my blog posts and my E-Book for the upcoming KICK-ASS Stepmom Project went kuuuuu-put! (back-up your work people! back-up your work!)
4. There were time-outs... and more time-outs
5. There was some rule breaking
6. An accidental fall into a staircase resulting in a very bruised face (yes that one was me)
7. A puking child … and a puke stained car seat
8. A broken down boat
9. Some standard tween-ager behaviour
10. A screaming toddler on a 5 hour car ride home
Do you want me to go on?
That’s real life!
It was equal parts exhausting and relaxing.
But that’s SO okay! It was our own version of perfection and we made some amazing memories!
And your vacations, with your own unique list of 10 things That Went Wrong, are your own version of perfection too.
Don’t let people’s pictures on social media deceive you.
People tend to post their highlight reel, not their real life...
(unless you’re looking at the ones I post of my two year old having complete sh*t fit… those are very real, and very much REAL LIFE!)
Are you ready for some positive change in your Stepfamily Life? Join me and Stepmoms from around North America in the 2nd round of The KICK-ASS Stepmom Project!