I don't EVER remember being THIS excited about Christmas - as an adult that is.
This year I am REALLY getting into the holiday sprit and find myself almost giddy about the upcoming celebrations with family and friends. I really think it has to do with the fact that this is the first year that Reese really understands Christmas ... and there is truly something magical about a toddler at Christmas Time.
Even though the hustle bustle of the Holiday Season is enough to keep my mind full of "to-dos", I keep finding myself reflecting on 2017, and planning for 2018. Yep, that's right, I'm already in New Years Resolution mode.
Last year, smack dab in the middle of the hustle bustle of the holiday season, I made the commitment to start working on my New Years Resolutions, before the New Year actually began. It's a tradition I am going to carry on!
The overall theme for 2018's Resolutions is to work towards goals that, for the most part are simply unattainable. The Resolutions aren't going to be something that I can just cross off my "to do list" - they are going to be a constant work in progress
For 2018 I'm going to work towards the unattainable goal of Balance and being deliberate about how I spend my time. Oh and I'd really like to get organized and healthy too!
When it comes to Balance, Organization and Living a Healthy Lifestyle, sometimes I feel like I am totally on the ball and other days not so much.
The goal of 2018 is to have more days that I am on the ball, than days that I am not.
Some of 2018's Resolutions are a continuation of habits that I have created this year and some are brand spankin' new! Either way, I am not waiting until 2018 to start to implement these changes.
Over the next few weeks, amongst the hustle bustle of the Holidays, I am going to set the foundation, so that I start 2018 on the right note!
To keep myself accountable, and hopefully inspire you to start thinking about the improvements you want to make for 2018, I thought I'd share my resolutions below!
2018 New Years Resolutions
Show Myself Some Love
1. GET BACK ON THE YOGA MAT - Yhis year my exercise regime has been mediocre at best. I am an all or nothing kind of girl, and lately it's been more nothing than all.
Like everyone and their Mom, regular exercise is on my list of New Years Resos for 2018.
Looking back, my body was at it's best when I was going to regular yoga classes - so this year I am going to lose the excuse "I don't have the time" and make yoga a regular part of my schedule.
Not only is it phenomenal for the bod, but it clears my head and forced me to unplug for an entire hour. And hey, workout aside, an hour of almost complete silence is pure bliss for any Mom.
2. EAT MORE FRUITS & VEGETABLES - I'm definitely not getting what I need each day, so I am going to try and amp it up in the fruits and vegetable department! One of my newest obsessions is Fresh Pressed Juice from The Farm Juice Co here in Stratford, ON. 3-5 pounds of product goes into one bottle - so I think this is a good start!
Strive for More Balance
Last year one of my resolutions was to stop being a slave to my phone, and despite a few days of "unplugging" here and there - the resolution was an epic fail!
Over the past year, this blog and community of women has grown substantially, and I am so thankful for that. But with that, the workload has also grown too. Working from home is bittersweet, because even though it comes with convenience and flexibility, I don't get to "leave work and go home" - Work and personal are intertwined.
For 2018 I am am going to implement some boundaries & strategies to separate the two! To be honest, I think my husband and daughter are starting to get annoyed that I am always on my phone and laptop.
3. USE A REAL ALARM CLOCK INSTEAD OF MY PHONE - Moving forward when I get into bed for the night, I am going to leave my phone charging downstairs. Currently I use it as an alam clock, so it's right beside me for most of the night. I find myself checking emails and meaninglessly scrolling before bed, checking social media first thing in the morning, and even turning it on in the middle of the night when I go to the washroom. It's a bit ridiculous!
I've ordered an alarm clock - so the excuse "my phone is my alarm clock" is no longer applicable! I'm actually kind of excited for my nightly shut down!
4. SCHEDULE MY SOCIAL MEDIA & EMAIL TIME - Alerts on my phone drive me crazy, so I try and respond (or at least read messages) as they come in. While this seems like it would help me stay on top of things it actually derails my productivity because I am constantly going back and forth between responding to emails and comments on social media, and doing what I really need to be doing.
I am also constantly working on my blog while I should be spending time with my family - too often I say "just give me one second, I need to respond to this" to the point that my daughter is starting to say "I don't want you workin' Mommy"
Now I am going to schedule in Email & Social Media time into my day - responses are going to have to wait until that designated time! Let's be serious, I'm a blogger, not a doctor... none of these emails are emergencies or time sensitive! They can wait!
5. TURNING OFF NOTIFICATIONS ON MY PHONE - As I said above, they are a distraction and derail my productivity! I don't want to be tempted!
After Reese was born my husband and I decided that I wouldn't return to my job as a Child Protection Worker so that I could stay on top of stuff around the house and be there for the kids throughout the day. It's not for everyone, and definitely not something that everyone understands, but it's the right choice for us.
But I am going to be real right now - over the past several months I have become a real hot mess in the wife/home department. My "wife jobs" as I call them have really been slipping, and our home has become a bit chaotic.
I feel like I am in a constant state of chaos, trying to balance between home and work - I think the fact that they are intertwined make it even worse.
Multi-tasking hasn't been working well. I start a load of laundry, get caught up in a project and forget about it until 3 days later when it smells all skunky. I plan on going to the grocery store, picking up the dry cleaning or doing my husband's books, and then I get caught up doing something on the blog and before I know it the day is over and the kids are on their way home.
Something has to change, and stat!
6. A WEEKLY WIFE DAY - Like I said, my current system just isn't working. Starting now, each week I am going to designate a "WIFE DAY".
This day will be dedicated to those stereotypical 60's housewife jobs e.g. laundry, cleaning, organizing, food prep, supporting my husband and doing whatever needs to be done for the kids.
Moving forward there will be "Blog Days" & "Wife Days" - it's time to amp things up in the organization department. No more multi-tasking. No more skunky laundry. No more forgotten dry-cleaning.
Add to the Morning & Nightly Routine
One thing I am doing well, is my morning routine. This routine has done wonders for my productivity and helped me become a better wife, a better mom and a better stepmom.
You can read all about it in a recent post: How Becoming A Morning Person Has Made Me A Better Mom
But, since there is always room for improvement, for 2018 I'm ready to amp things up
7. DAILY PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT - Growing up my mom would wake up super early to sit in a comfy chair, sip on her coffee and read her personal development books. It was a non-negotiable part of her daily routine - and I thought it was the weirdest thing ever!
Now, years later, I'm trying to implement the same routine into my morning. Why? Well it helps me start the day focused, motivated & inspired - AND if you read any article that lists what the most successful people in the world do each and everyday, personal development is almost always part of their morning routine.
8. PLAN MY DAY THE NIGHT BEFORE - This is something that I usually do in the morning, but I'm going to start doing it before bed instead! This way, I'll wake up focused and clear on what I need to get done... and well... have more time for the personal development.
Now on to the fun stuff. One of my favourite New Years Resolution Traditions is to get some new gear and accessories to motivate change. There is something about a new notebook or planner that inspires me to get organized, and a something about new work-out outfit motivates me to get my butt to the yoga studio.
So today, I thought I'd share my 2018 New Years Resolution Must Haves - you can ask for them for Christmas, or hey, even just treat yo-self! Either way, I highly recommend!
1. LARGE SPIRAL NOTEBOOK
2. THE PASSION PLANNER - I've been using this planner for the past three years and I LOVE IT. Not only does it allow you to separate work and personal "to dos", it has a section where you can set goals, reflect on the past month, and really get clear on what you what you want to accomplish! Highly Recommend!
3. Large Pencil Pouch - Because the amount of time I spend looking for my favourite pens is mind-blowing!
4. ALARM CLOCK
5. THE COMPOUND EFFECT - By far, my favourite personal development book! An absolute must read.
6. FREE RN RUNNING SHOES - Love these because you can wear them casually or to work out.
7. SWAN SMOKE PEN- because list writing is that much better when you have a nice pen
8. FRESH PRESSED JUICE - by far my newest obsession! I can't believe the changes I've noticed in my skin & energy level!
9. THE YOGA (UN)MAT - These is nothing worse than slipping all over the mat when you get all sweaty at hot yoga - this mat absorbs the moisture and helps you keep your grip. I've actually had mind for over 5 years!
10. NOVELY MUG - It's no secret that I love a good inspiring novelty mug mug! I never give up the opportunity to add another one to my collection!
11. Lap Desk - Makes working in bed so much easier!
12. FAUX FUR THROW - Hands down the most beautiful and comfortable throw around. Goes perfect with our bedroom decor and makes cozying up with a good book that much more enjoyable.
13. POWER Y TANK - My favourite workout top ever. Has a built in bra, doesn't ride and is so comfortable. I often wear it casually as well. Goes great under a big sweater or cardigan on those days you want to stay comfy!
14. WUNDER UNDER TECH MESH YOGA PANTS - The truth is, the pants in the picture above are my sister. Once this post goes LIVE I know she's going to ask for them back, so I definitely need to get myself a pair! I love these pants both for working out, or to wear casually with a big comfy sweater!